BLAST Searches at a Cloud Provider
The NCBI provides a BLAST server image hosted with these cloud vendors: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Compute Engine (GCE), and Microsoft Azure. This allows users to run stand-alone searches with the BLAST+ applications, submit searches through a subset of the NCBI-BLAST URL API, and perform searches with a simplified webpage. The server image includes a FUSE client that will download BLAST databases during the first search. The server image runs on Ubuntu Linux. This page provides links to the latest server images as well as links to documentation about BLAST in the cloud.
The most recent BLAST+ server image for AWSAWS Marketplace: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00N44P7L6
The most recent BLAST+ server image for GCEGoogle Compute Engine: https://googlegenomics.readthedocs.org/en/latest/use_cases/run_familiar_tools/ncbiblast.html
The most recent BLAST+ server image for AzureMicrosoft Azure: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/virtual-machines/all/?term=ncbi-blast
- NCBI BLAST cloud documentation - How to setup and use the server image, as well as documentation for the simplified URL API.
- BLAST+ user manual - How to run stand-alone BLAST searches.
- Sample PERL code - This script can submit URL API searches to your instance. It can be easily modified for specific tasks.
- Video recording from the BLAST in the Cloud webinar (July, 2014)
- CloudBlast Poster - Presented at NIH in 2014.